What Does Faith Look Like in College?
Last week we released our June E-Journal, and one of the resources we shared is a video you can use this summer with high school graduates headed to college. The premise of the video is “What you need to know about faith in college.”
In our College Transition Project research the past six years, we’ve heard over and over that many students (6 out of 7 in our study) didn’t feel prepared for taking faith to college. We know a 2-minute video isn’t going to solve that problem, but we do hope it can spur some conversations between youth leaders or parents and students this summer.
Faith doesn’t have to take a nose dive the first year of college, but it WILL look different. Between getting connected to a church and campus ministry, finding grace in the midst of mistakes, and navigating new friendships over the first few weeks and months, faith can get lost in the mix of all that college life demands.
Here are a few questions you can use to follow up with a student this summer in response to this video:
- When you think about the vision you have for what your faith will look like the first few weeks and months of college, what comes to mind?
- Derek suggests that college is a calling to prepare us for further calling. How does that mesh with your understanding of how faith is part of the college experience?
- When you think about the kinds of friends you hope will surround and support you in college, what kinds of people come to mind? What would you want to be true about them? How will you go about finding them? What do you think friends have to do with your faith?
- New doubts and questions about faith can spring up those first few months of a new experience like college. What do you think you’ll do when those questions arise?
- How can I pray for you and your faith as you head to college?
And here’s the video again:
More From Us
Sign up for our email today and choose from one of our popular free downloads sent straight to your inbox. Plus, you’ll be the first to know about our sales, offers, and new releases.