The Middle 70%

Kara Powell | May 26, 2010

Recently Ive been thinking about how much of a leaders energy goes into 30% of the people in their community. For a youth worker, that means youre investing lots of energy into the 15% of your kids who are doing super great and the 15% of your kids who are really struggling.

But what about that middle 70%? Whos investing in them? They arent as high maintenance or shiny as the other 30% but theyre probably the majority of your kids.

Maybe its time to look down the list of your kids and ask questions about each kid:

  1. How is this kid doing in their journey with God?
  2. How could our ministry help this kid move a bit forward?
  3. What adult(s) are investing in this kid?

Lets not ignore the vast middle

Kara Powell

Dr. Kara Powell is the Executive Director of the Fuller Youth Institute (FYI), a faculty member at Fuller Theological Seminary, and Fuller's Chief of Leadership Formation. Named by Christianity Today as one of “50 Women You Should Know,” Kara serves as a Youth and Family Strategist for Orange, and also speaks regularly at parenting and leadership conferences. Kara is the author or coauthor of a number of books, including Growing Young, Growing With, The Sticky Faith Guide for Your Family, Sticky Faith Curriculum, Can I Ask That?, Deep Justice Journeys, Deep Justice in a Broken World, Deep Ministry in a Shallow World, and the Good Sex Youth Ministry Curriculum. Kara lives with her husband Dave and their three children, Nathan, Krista, and Jessica, in Southern California.


More from this author

More From Us

Hello, WELCOME TO FYI
Join the community

Sign up for our email today and choose from one of our popular free downloads sent straight to your inbox. Plus, you’ll be the first to know about our sales, offers, and new releases.

Join the community

Sign up for our email today and choose from one of our popular free downloads. Plus, you’ll be the first to know about our sales, offers, and new releases.